Thursday, February 2, 2012

Moving on.

I just wanted to dedicate this post to someone incredible. It's been exactly ONE year today that my Grandmother passed away. I know I have written about this a lot lately, but it's definitely been on my mind.

When I think about everything that's happened in a year, my mind is just blown at all I've done. And the words "Move on" have been stuck in my head for a few days now. That's why I have chosen this as the topic of this post.

Starting with the loss of my grandma, "granin." Like I've mentioned before, her and I had a special bond, and she will always be one of the MOST important people in my entire life. She was one of the greatest people that ever lived on this whole planet. I credit her for raising my dad into the person he is, and for those of you who know him know that he's pretty great. She taught me life lessons that I'll never forget, and to this day, I can still hear those voices either chastising me or praising me, but always loving me. She had her way of proving a point, even if you didn't want to hear what she was saying. She was definitely a wise woman. You could always feel the love she had for everyone she knew. (this is definitely not where I thought this was the direction this post was going, and it's way more emotional than I had intended to write, so emotional in fact that tears are rolling down my cheeks as I'm doing this...) Everyone that met her called her a saint, and she left a great impression on everyone she met, she is truly irreplaceable in all of our hearts.

Last summer, we took on the task of cleaning out her home. Remember: she was 89 years old, had 7 children, and she liked to cherish everything. Needless to say this was quite a task. I wouldn't trade those 2.5 weeks we spent for anything. Her memory was still so strong, and so was the spirit of who she is. I learned things about her that I never even knew, and for me, all the long, tiring days were totally worth it.

Coincidentally (or not, because I don't particularly believe in coincidences,) we had a lesson in institute about death and dying. Yesterday, I got so emotional thinking about this process of life. We learned that it's okay to mourn. It's okay to always have those feelings in your heart, and always remember those people that have influenced you. This is okay, moving on is not a choice. That person died. You didn't.

Another big moment in our year was we've moved! This was something I definitely wasn't so hip about. I've lived in the same house for 20 years, and the same BEDROOM for 19. This wasn't something I was looking forward to, but as time moved on, and I was realizing I had no choice about the matter, I finally budged, and even though it's still so weird being here, it's something I had to do.

Although the year had it's ups and downs, and we shed plenty of tears. Some happy, some sad. Those tears didn't last very long, because eventually the bad stuff is replaced by something better, and these experiences are the ones that are helping me grow. I've learned so much about these two little words: Move on. Those are the words I'm thinking about today.

Moving on.

1 comment:

Anika said...

{tears}

it helps to read your posts! thanks SO much!!

:)